Tuesday, April 6, 2010

As Long as the River Flows

I found the following in a search for videos with Grassy Narrows, the reserve where I will be spending my days this summer. The clip is a documentary about clear cutting in GN and how the people rallied to save their forests, how cutting the forests is damaging not only to the earth, but to the people who inhabit the land.

My hopes are that teaching literacy skills to the youth of Grassy Narrows will give them the foundation they need to advocate for their people and land. Canada's history has many dark areas in terms of how First Nations people and land have been treated. Education can give youth the power they need to overcome.

I've also included a clip of Johnny Cash singing As Long as the River Flows - not just for fun, but music is always a nice touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment